Any Experience w/ FMU on Novell

This topic is 7374 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Have client that is using Novell Netware 6 (instead of previously planned NT - surprize!), w/ Apache 1.3.x running (finally). The client's outsourced network guys (ONG) have demonstrated a lack of knowledge in running apache let alone FMU. I know very little of Novell, and am having trouble detailing our needs. As I understand FMU, we need it running on the host AND the dbs open (all w/ the requisite web companion configurations enabled) on the HOST. The ONG's are suggesting that the application must have a ".NML" (some novell executable?) in order to run.

FMU has been installed, but CONNECTOR has NOT. If we map drives from a station, we can get the application to run. Via TCP/IP (internal or internet), we cannot.

Do we need to install CONNECTOR OR some other software item in order to get this client operational? Anything I can have the ONG's do/test/check?

Would it be possible to run Web Connector on Novell/Apache (static IP on internet) and have the WC point to a windows box (on a static internal IP)? Is not WC a plug-in or loadable module of apache?

Everything I've seen re: WC suggests that FMU must also be on a direct accessable internet host. I assume this is how FMU runs on Linux or am I again mistaken?

I guess my question is two-fold, do I understand WC/FMU interaction correctly and can I have WC on a internet host, but FMU on an internal host not directly web accessable? thanks

"Is not WC a plug-in or loadable module of apache?"

To be honest I've not yet implemented Web Connector. If it is some sort of Apache plug-in then it might work on a Novell box, but I don't remember it being mentioned as being supported. You may need to do some kind of manual install thing to make it happen.

FMU does not run on Linux, only Mac or Win.

"can I have WC on a internet host, but FMU on an internal host not directly web accessable?"

Yep, AFAIK that's its advantage. The FMU host can be behind a firewall. It only ever sees one IP number, that from the Web Connector.

Will this screw up IP number tracking?

Hi Vaughan

This is just a guess, but I cannot see it screwing up IP number tracking. WC can be used with standard FM I think?? therefore the IP number must still be passed through Web connector to FM to track for the 10 IP limit.

Ed.

WC only comes with FMU. FileMaker Inc would have worked it out.

I know the license forbids middleware like Lasso being used with normal FMP, it requires FMU.

As I recall from the docs, WC can be compiled into "other" unspecified platforms. So, I'm thinking its a loadable module launched when apache boots and reads its conf file. Worst case is that apache might need to be recompiled to incorporate the new WC module for Novell.

Just thinking outloud here.

This topic is 7374 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.