Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Weird printing problem

Anonymouse

This topic is 7348 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Here's a weird problem in FileMaker 5.5 on MacOS 9.2.

I've got a database that is used to create a Directory with an index, etc. The on-screen preview looks fine, but when I print it (even from Preview Mode) sometimes a record at the bottom of a page gets shifted to the next one.

This of course cause problems since the Index and Table of Contents are both calculated using Preview mode, but what comes out of the printer is different.

Comparing the printed text with the Preview version (printed via a screen shot) seems to show that the printed text has a line spacing that is SLIGHTLY bigger than in Preview Mode - the combined increase of course making not enough room on the bottom of the page for the next record.

There's no font utilities like ATM running, the in-built smoothing in MacOS 9 is turned off and they are just standard fonts (Times, Palatino, Helvetica), so I can't think of any reason this is happening.

On perhaps a linked problem, the title page for the Directory looks and prints fine on the LCD iMacs, but if I open the database on one of the CRT iMacs (running the same version of the OS) some of the text again has wider line spacing. This causes some text that is nicely lined up to sit above a grey box on the LCD iMacs is suddenly half-way below the box on the CRT iMacs.

The really weird thing is that this is a copy of another database used for a different Directory and as far as I can see the original works perfectly, or is extremely lucky with it's records fitting.

Does anybody have any suggestions for what I should check or change?

• Newbies

I've got a similar problem. I've made a really simple layout with two items on it; a block of text and a drawn line at the bottom of the text. In preview mode the line is right up against the block of text. When I print it there is a gap between the bottom of the block of text and the line.

I've tried different printers, different fonts, different PCs, a Mac and can recreate it on a new database.

What's weirder is it worked fine for years. We then changed from Macs to Pcs and three weeks later this problem appears.

Any ideas hugely appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Try these in order.

1. Create a new blank layout and copy the old layout fields to the new version.

2. Delete the problem layout and re-make it.

3. (If desperate) Re-build the file from scratch. You might be able to copy a lot of stuff but don't copy the problem layout.

• Newbies

I'm getting a slightly different weird printing problem. I'm trying to print a school directory. What's happening is that in roughly the same spot on the page, but not on every page, and sometimes in a completely different spot on the page, a line is being skipped. So for example, the entry might look like:

Smith, Joe Gr 5 Room 22 (650) 555-1212

Smith, Susie Gr 1 Room 6

Mary & John Smith

<skipped line> - this should not be there!

123 Main Street, Anywhere, USA

[email protected]

[email protected]

The first two lines are printed from a portal. After that starts the sliding text. (The exact format of this is getting altered in the posting but the general idea is there.)

If I print the same page over again it will do the same thing. However the next page may or may not have the same problem. It seems to be completely random. I've looked at the data for odd characters and didn't find any. I've omitted the problem record and then the problem just moves. I've changed the layout and the problem moved. I am printing this using sliding text. It does not seem to really be related to the record but I don't know how to tell. Of course when I look at the preview mode all looks fine. A friend tried to reproduce the problem on her system and could not.

This was working fine until yesterday. The only thing I can think of that has changed is that I installed some ClipArt on my system. I'm going to reinstall the printer driver but am looking for any other suggestions to this problem.

Thanks.

jmusselman

This topic is 7348 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.