Body Not Sliding?

ddreese

This topic is 7364 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Why can I not set my body to slide? All my fields will slide together like they should, but when I print I still get two extra blank pages. I went through the user manual, and it says I can slide any object or part, but when I select the 'body' part, I cannot access the sliding/printing options. What am I doing wrong, it's driving me nuts!

you have to slide the objects on the body part, you cannot slide the part itself.

Just make it as small as possible. And don't forget to make any objects slide up. Often, one forgets some Objects hidden on the right side or behind other objecs. To make sure, do a "select all" in layout mode + set to slide up.

Well I tried that and it still prints all the content on the first page, and then two blank pages.

Another strange thing I'm getting is some of my fields that are blank are disapearing completely, even though they are NOT set to 'reduce size of enclosing part'.

OK, I started a new layout going peice by peice. Whenever I set a field to slide up based on all above or directly above, if there is no data in the field it disapears from the printout. Now that would make sense if I were using the 'also reduce the size of the enclosing part', but I am not. I don't understand what's happening!

That's normal behavior. "Reduce size of enclosing part" means that the "body part" of the layout shrinks. It doesn't refer to the field border. The field will disappear completely if there is nothing in it and it is set to shrink.

From the images you have posted, it looks like you are trying to create a list type of report where Reporting Source, Relation, Phone Number, and Reporting Address are the line items. If so, put everything above these fields into a subsummary part and then these fields into the body part all by themselves. Shrink the body part up to just fit around these line item fields. Then in the layout setup choose list view.

No I'm not trying to make them list items. That's when I was starting my layout over, and hadn't put any of the other fields in yet.

Thank you for the explanation with the sliding though, I find it highly annoying that it does that because I'm printing with the field borders on, and it looks strange having blank fields where the rest of them have borders around the data.

Back to the drawing board smile.gif

Then, you could use calculated fields for printing. You could create a calculation that would put a space character in the field if it's empty and at least one other field on that line has data in it. Like so:

PrintField1 = Case (IsEmpty(Field1) and IsEmpty(Field2) and IsEmpty(Field3) "", IsEmpty(Field1) ,"

This topic is 7364 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.