way to only display record base on username

solarpunk

This topic is 7358 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Record base?

"prevent a person to do search for records that doent correspond to them"

Ahhh... look into Access Privileges, and the ability to limit browse based on a calculation. I think there is an article about it in the FileMaker TechInfo Library.

Record Level Access (RLA) for browse can create some performance issues. However it does work. You are faced with the requirement of blocking the user from changing the name in the Preferences. Use SecureFM to do that.

Additionally, if you are using FIleMaker Pro 6 you can do a Go To Related Records based on a Cartesian theta join that would show all records. If you are logged onto the database with a RLA password, you will see only the records that "belong" to you. There is however, a mini-buglet such that if the first record is not available to you to browse, then the entire process will fail.

HTH

Steven

Theta joins are those where the keys do not match, i.e. not equijoins. The Cartesian returns all records in the relationship (either related file or a self join). Hence, the technique I referenced works because FMP 6 is smart enough to know that records the user is not supposed to have access for are not supposed to be in the resultant related set. This eliminates all those <no access> badges that can clutter the screen.

HTH

Steven

• Newbies

when i first read "cartesian theta join" i thought i must be something like "vulcan mind meld" so i can grasp from your statements that this problem can be handled, but i'm not familar with the technique. could you provide us with some example coding? thanks!

Theta joins are those where the keys do not match, i.e. not equijoins. The Cartesian returns all records in the relationship (either related file or a self join). Hence, the technique I referenced works because FMP 6 is smart enough to know that records the user is not supposed to have access for are not supposed to be in the resultant related set. This eliminates all those <no access> badges that can clutter the screen.

A constant value of 1 will work for this; such constants add a modest security risk to the file.

Steven

This topic is 7358 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.