Any sugestions for speeding up finds over a network?

This topic is 8363 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've got a solution hosted off of a machine running a regular version of FMP5, and the network is a simpel eithernet nework with two other computer besides the one acting as the host.

The files are pretty big as far as number of records go (17,000) in some files. The finds seem to take forever, especially across on a guest machine.

What kinds of work arounds have you found for speeding up finds in such large databases?

To Byteworks,

if you have in your tables a field that identifies your depts. i suggest you to issue a relation on this field and, instead of use a search on the entire db, first isolate the record set for that dept. (using 'goto related records' statement) and then issue the particular search on this found set.

Idem for sorting.

The same statement you can use to bring to each dept. the right scope on the proper set of records.

Hope this helps.

To BruceJ

i dont know what is your specific concern (maybe the answer to byteworks can provide some form of help to you too).

Notice me about, if you agree.

Greetings from Holy Lands.

Currently I use a script attached to a button (department A, Department B etc)

They click this button and FM finds and returns only the elements associated with their department.

If I understand you correctly, I should consider using a relationship.

i.e If I have a global field which contains the Department names and have this self relate, then it should work faster. But it means I need to create a portal to show the relationships right?

On my master layout I have included other fields from other relationships.

Could this be a reason for slowing the system down?

I too are looking at imrpoving performance in this areas as well. I have an inventory system which is accessed by 3 departments.

Each department only see's (By Default) their items associated with that department, problem I have is when they search or sort I have to return just there portion from a list of 10000 items.

So hopefully someone will reply soon with ideas.

quote:

Originally posted by byteworks:

Currently I use a script attached to a button (department A, Department B etc)

They click this button and FM finds and returns only the elements associated with their department.

If I understand you correctly, I should consider using a relationship.

i.e If I have a global field which contains the Department names and have this self relate, then it should work faster. But it means I need to create a portal to show the relationships right?

On my master layout I have included other fields from other relationships.

Could this be a reason for slowing the system down?

Hi byteworks,

you are right: i mean you have to use a relation!

If you have to display related records on the same forma you must use a portal, then the statement goto related is unnecessary.

Else you can use this statement that, automatically, switch the scope on a form into the related file !!

Obviously, in this case, you must insert in your forms some 'navigation buttons' in order to have the ability to 'come home' !!

Hope this is clear, else notice me.

This topic is 8363 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.