Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Where are my carriage returns?

Simmo

This topic is 7317 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Chris,

I'm not sure I understand your problem. I use send mail with outlook express to put the contents of a text field into the body of my email message and carriage returns in the text field are reflected in the email message, it looks the same as it did in FileMaker.

I do have

Hi ED,

Thanks for the response.

I am using Open URL rather than Send mail, as I need to use the bcc field, which Send mail doesn't allow for (as you say, the text looks fine when using Send mail).

Interestingly enough, Outlook displays the text correctly, while Outlook Express leaves off the carriage returns, but only after I sustitute the

Just for info

The ASCII for carriage return is as you say %0D

%0A is the ASCII for (line feed/new line)

It depends on the application you are putting the ASCII characters into as to which you use, but you can always use both it won't cause any problem, this would probably be the better option actually.

%0A%0D

Best regards

Ed

• 1 month later...

The bottleneck of the carriage return replacement is not of course what you see in your own E-mail-client but what the clients see in their E-mail...When using Netscape 4.79 as my default E-mail client I used %0A as the replacement, which looked ok in Netscape. I got the %0A replacement tip somewhere from the internet, but it sucks..Outlook Express misunderstands the %0A. When using %0A%0D my Outlook Express (Mac) displays an extra square next to the carriage return, so that does not work well either.

In my experience just replacing the

This topic is 7317 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.