windows from guest and host both opening

tadibber

This topic is 7358 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Why, when I open from the guest computer, do I get open windows from both guest and host? Here is the setup: The host machine has an "open all" script attatched to the first file, so the rest open automatically. This was created in single user mode on the host machine, host file. All the files were then set to multi -user mode. On the guest machine I navigate to the host and open the first file. In my open windows list on the guest machine I then get some duplicates, like (lineitems.FP5) and (lineitems.fp5) - the same with a couple of other files. I think the capitalized .FP5 comes from the guest machine's hard drive, although I have only opened files from the host. There are no other scripts set to run on opening. I have already deleted and re-entered the open all script. Also, if I delete backup copies of the database that are on the guest hard drive, there is no problem because there is nothing extra for it to open, but I would like to be able to store a backup copy on the guest machine. Any ideas?

Hi,

Your problem is your backup files as you have already found out. Keeping backups on the same machine is not a good idea, for a few reasons, one being the one you expained, another is the backup file being opened and data entered instead of the live file.

If you really must keep backup files on the same machine, rename them and compress them with stuffit or winzip or anything similar.

Ed

This topic is 7358 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.