Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How to make a database for my wine cellar

marlou

This topic is 7374 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi,

It"s my first time on your forum. I'm doing a database for all the bottles of wine I have in my cellar. My question is how to be able to link two fields together. I have one field with all the countries in a pull down menu and what I want is if I choose for example France, it automatically gets all the region of this country on another field. I use Filemaker for a long time and can't remember how to do this. I don't know if I'm clear enough ! if not I will explain more !

Thanks

You need value list based on a relationship. But before that, you need to set up your data sources.

I'd make one db called countries, another regions that are related by country (or CountryID to be more accurate). You could put a portal in the Countries file to display all the related regions and make data entry and display much easier and more intuitive. Now enter in all the countries and regions.

Make Countries value list based on the CountryName field in Countries. Make a Regions value list based on the relationship to regions.

This topic is 7374 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.