How can I set the date and time from the Server?

This topic is 7354 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I don't think that can be done - I believe that all your date/time data comes from the client machine. You may be able to pull that data from a network time server, but FM Server is off on it's own world. I'm curious, though, why you would want to get the data from the FM Server machine?

-Stanley

We will be setting timers to measure performance of various individuals and processes. For example, an order is assigned to a pick, pack, shipper. We want to measure the amount of time between Order Status - "Assigned to Packer" and "Order Packed and Verified". If the folks being measured realize they can switch their date/time settings locally, we lose a valuable piece of measurement.

I inquired about this a while ago, and got the same disappointing answer; it can't be done. The reason I need this functionality, is because I developed a "Time Tracking" solution that is built-in to our FileMaker databases. The problem is keeping 20 computers on the right time. Internet time lookups aren't adequate, especially since some of our employees use more than one computer to log in / out, and they're always off by a few seconds AT LEAST.

I would LOVE to see a "Status(CurrentServerTime)" function in the next version of FileMaker Pro / Server!

Coldspring:

If you're worried about users altering their local date/time settings, then lock them out and use a networked time server. On the Mac you can use something like OnGuard (OS 9, I don't know about OSX) to lock the user out from the control panels; I couldn't say what to do on Windows...

-Stanley

This topic is 7354 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.