Value lists slowing me down?

Bettina

This topic is 7331 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I created a value list in my secondary file using values from a field. This field ("ID tag") gathers info from another file (Master file). I have 143 records so far, which isn't much considering what I plan to enter in the future.

As soon as I created the value list, I noticed that everything slowed down. Response time during data entry slowed greatly, etc... As soon as I removed the value list, it was back to normal.

Does this have to do with the length of the value list or the fact that the info is coming from another file?

I should probably also mention that my ID Tag (which we've discussed at length in the relationship forum) brings in information with it (i.e. First, Middle and Last Name as well as a few other things).

I also have a few other value lists set up through fields. Would that add to it?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Bettina

Hello Bettina,

Yes, value lists can become inefficient whewn large numbers of values are involved - and especially so over busy network connections (in hosted solutions).

Quite apart from this, the merits of a value list as an interface device begin to diminish once the list becomes long (eg longer than a dozen or two items) because the business of scanning the list in search of that elusive entry becomes tedious - even for users who know about type-ahead techniques with drop-down lists.

If, as you say, the list is already 143 items long and is destined to grow, I suggest that you consider other alternatives.

One of the simplest of alternatives is to establish a filter for the value list, so that users firts select a range or category, then view a conditional value list of the items which relate only to the first selection. This or other such interace devices may be appropriate depending on the nature of your solution and the ergonomics of its use. wink.gif

This topic is 7331 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.