Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Cannot open file

This topic is 7357 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have been maintaining an FM database which is used by a mixture of Mac and PC users running version 6. The files are stored on a Mac Server although not using FM Server. I use a PC running Developer 5.5. I have been doing updates and all sorts, each time working on the file at home then emailing it back and have not had a problem.

I have just completed a major update that necessitated creating some extra files purely for reference. In the same way I sent the files to the customer.

When they copy them to the Mac server and then try to open them in each case they get the error "This file cannot be translated using this selected file type". I cannot work it out, I have checked and changed the fonts to no avail.

The files are completely inert, no scripts. They are purely used for reference.

Has anybody got any clues?

Regards

Chris

Hello Chris,

Having been created on a PC, the files will not have acquired the creator and type resources that the Mac uses to associate files with their corresponding application. That is the most likely reason for the error message your users have reported.

If they first launch FileMaker on a Mac, then open each of the files using the File>Open command (navigating to the files via the standard file dialogs) the files shoudl open and, when subsequently closed, should have the necessary resources added. From then on they should open in the normal way (ie from the 'Finder') on the Mac server.

That's surprising, Chris, because file translation on MacOS is a system level intervention, and the system is not involved if the files are opened from within the application.

Notwithstanding that, If you have been sending the files as in-the-clear email attachments, I suggest that you try compressing them prior to sending them. Stuffit Expander (a free utility for MacOS will decompress .zip files on the Mac) and see if that improves matters.

I have recently been using Winzip9 and not had any problems. The person was unzipping using Winzip8 straight on to the Mac Server.

I can however happily report that using Stuffit Expander on the Mac and then onto the Mac Server did the trick. I am not sure why though, unless it is a weakness when using the experimental version of Winzip.

Anyway, thanks Ray for your help

Regards

This topic is 7357 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.