Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Bulleted List in Field?

Aragorn

This topic is 7353 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

If you describe exactly what you're trying to accomplish, I can answer in greater detail.

If you treat the list as a single piece of text, yes.

In FileMaker, a text field can have formatting and multiple lines. A bulleted list is simply multiple lines in a text field: start with a bullet, follow with a space/tab, then the text, and finally a paragraph marker.

If the user is entering this data, my experience says that you'll never get them to adhere to a list format. I'd do this by putting the information in either multiple fields or a repeating field, with a calculation or script to make and format the list. The advantage of the script is that a loop deals with an empty line that should be overlooked easier than a calculation does.

What I want is when the user enters the data it automatically enters a bullet and when the enter key is hit it goes to the next line in the field with the bullet already there....similar to MS Word when in "Bullet Mode"

One way to do this is to have a single line entry field with the list appearing in another field as a calculation. After entering the line, the user would click a button to process the new text (a script is the easiest way to do this).

FileMaker does not run scripts based on hitting enter, the feature you'd need to do this exactly like Word. I just ordered my 7 upgrade, maybe it has a better way to do this...

Sam

This topic is 7353 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.