Using Developer with FM Server 7

This topic is 7322 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello. I am new in the forums, but I have looked them over and noticed that a lot of people had similar questions as I did about creating apps with FM Dev 7. As mentioned a number of times I gathered that one can not create networked apps with FM Dev 7. But what wasn't clear though it was mentioned on a number of occasions is exactly how hard it is and if one can create the stand alone clients with Dev 7 and then as long as there is a FM Server 7 license on the network, can one utilizes the clients via a network to access the Server 7 database(s)?

In other words lets say I have Server 7 implemented with a database. Can I create stand alone apps for each client using Dev 7 that will access the Server 7 database or is this impossible. Reading thru the hundreds of threads here I can't seem to see a complete picture if this is or isn't possible.

Let's say that I am not against purchasing whatever licenses I must. So I am not trying to be tricky or anything. I just would like a straight forward answer on if as long as I legally own and utilize the correct licenses that I can create a Client/Server apps with Dev 7 and Server 7 in combination.

Thanks and once again I appologize if you have answered this elsewhere. I have looked through the forums the best I could and search but didn't find the answer that I was looking for.

Version: Developer v7

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

Hi Michael and welcome to the forum!

Runtimes created with Dev cannot be used to access a FM Server. Runtimes are meant for use on a standalone PC/Mac not as a networked solution.

To run a network solution you would need FM Server on a dedicated machine and FM Pro on each client machine that is to access the server.

Hope this clears things up for you.

Regards

Ed

I do not believe the license structure has changed between 6 and 7.

FMServer can host runtime files or solutions, however each client must still have a licensed copy of FM on each box that wants to connect to the hosted database.

Runtimes themselves cannot be networked.

• Newbies

Thank you both. I really would like to use FM for my development(s) but this limitation might keep me from it. I would like to develop apps in FM but I don't want to give the client pcs access to FM itself. I did notice that some people posted possible solutions to this by add on modules.

Hi Michael,

If you use correct security setting you can actually stop users from doing pretty much whatever you want in FileMaker, so them having access to FM itself shouldn't cause many issues for you.

If you do not think that this is suitable, why not look at a web solution? You could run either FM6 Unlimited ot FM7 Server Advanced when it is available and host your databases over an intranet.

Users will then connect to your database using a web browser.

If you want more information on this have a look in the forums, and feel free to ask any questions.

Regards

Ed.

Hi Michael,

Just be careful before diving straight in and purchasing FM Unlimited.

FM 7 is a whole new technology, if in the future you decide to upgrade to v7 you may have problems with your solution if you use the "built in feature" of Unlimited called IWP (Instant Web Publishing).

With Unlimited, there is this IWP feature, basically it creates the stuff needed to host your DB's over the web, but it is very limited, but this may be OK for your needs. This is not available in v7.

Next - Custom Web Publishing. This is where you create your own web pages that connect to the database. If you create these in html you use CDML tags - this is what is used to get the information out out of FileMaker onto your web page. CDML again is not supported in v7.

Now, there are other options you have, PHP, XML, Lasso etc etc. FileMaker v7 has headed down the route of XML. It is possible lasso will be updated for v7.

Mariano Peterson is very knowledgeable on the languages that can be used to get data out of FM and onto a web browser. Have a look at his excellent post to this question . This will give you more of an insight into things.

It is best to know where you stand with v6 to v7 on the web side before you buy Unlimited, as I say this may be OK for your needs, but just wanted you to know the situation before you commit to anything.

One more thing, FM Unlimited will be only be available until September time I think.

Hope this info helps

Best regards

Ed

Version: v6.x

Platform: Windows 2000

• 4 weeks later...

Michael, it sounds like we're in a similar situation. I also need to develop a client/server solution, unfortunately it cannot be web-based (we have a lot of data entry & need the efficiency of client/server with a fast, responsive UI). The truely RAD aspects & newfound power of FMP makes it an attactive choice.

However, I'm disappointed FM has not provided a client like most other mac databases (4D Client, Helix Client, Panorama Direct, OpenBase JRADbrowser, Omnis Runtime, etc.) even though FM has had runtime capabilities for several years. End users/clients only use (& should generally only have access to) a limited portion of the software (the runtime portions, really), but FM still requires them to have full versions. It sure smacks of profiteering, but fundementally it's bad practice to give such potentially damaging power to end users even with ACLs.

Sorry to make my first post here somewhat critical because FMP is wonderful for many applications.

FMP 6 could be installed on each client's computer with an option to not allow users to create or modify databases. This may still be possible in FMP 7.

This topic is 7322 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.