Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Saving finds

This topic is 7343 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked, but its tough keeping up with tht flood of info these days. I'm still using 6, and have looked here and on the FM site but don't have an answer yet.

In FM 7 is it possible for an end user to perform a find and/or sort and then save that find/sort to be called up and applied again at a later date? (That is, without having access to the scripts.)

It's always seemed to me that this shouldn't be that tough, given the existance of the 'modify last find' command. If FM can remember the parameters of the last find, then it seems it should be able to wirte these parameters to a little file (that isn't a script) for later recall so that users aren't continually rebuilding the same complex queries.

Does FM 7 provide any way to do this? Thanks for help.

Dan

just "flag" your found records an you will be OK.

Another apporach is to copy all records (RecordIDs) into a global, then go to related records ...

Third possibility: Don't use find mode directly. Let your user enter instead into corresponding fields of a Requests database. Then script the find request by pasting the values into the fields(in find mode!), perform find. You may then recall that request later, returning the actual matching records instead of the results returned at a specific time in history ...

Hey Christian,

Thanks. I think the 3rd possibility is the way to go. The first 2 will produce a static set, and won't pick up new records that match the find cirteria, or drop records that no longer do.

But the third way will be dynamic. Still, this is a fantastic hassle when you consider how many related fields there could be. The Requests database would have to have a mirror field for every conceivably-searchable field in the solution, and layouts that would mimic all of your other layouts so that only meaningful requests would be made. I was hoping version 7 would automate this so users could quickly save their finds and recall them later.

Thanks for the idea.

Dan

This topic is 7343 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.