Drag selection of text out of FM into Wp

This topic is 7315 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi

I am new to FM (I used to used Datapower on my trusty Acorns, RiscOS is good but now old!) on the Mac I need to drag Title,Surname and address and postcode files out of FM and into my DTP package, to write letters and create other files for clients, these will be using different records at different times but always the selected (currentn) record.

This was a cinch on Datapower, but I can't even get FM to add all the above fields into one, and then I need to export all. I tried creating a container field with select all text on entry and you can copy and paste that, but how do I get all my fields into one field ??

Hope you can help - I might add that FM on the Mac (OSX Panther) is far better than Datapower, but it needs some personalisation before I can use it with a vengance !

Cheers

Version: v6.x

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

Create a calculation field, where each line checks if it is empty so there are no blank lines. THe "PM" denotes a paragraph mark in parentheses. Substitute the paragraph mark for the PM, the paragraph mark is in the palette in the calculation dialog.

Example:

FirstName & " " & LastName & "PM" &

If( IsEmpty(HomeStreet1), "", HomeStreet1 & "PM") &

If( IsEmpty(HomeStreet2), "", HomeStreet2 & "PM") &

If( IsEmpty(HomeStreet3), "", HomeStreet3 & "PM") &

City & ", " & State

Put this field on a layout, in Field Format leave "Allow entry..." on and check "Select entire contents...". Now you can esily copy the field.

You could export this for many fields.

Hi Sam

Brilliant - I hope my praise makes up for the time you spent writing to a complete novice, as a pro artist by choice, the computer is a necessity - mostly enjoyable until it comes to trying to do things like this !

I am now going to try and get the field to auto insert into the open window of my chosen program when you click on a button under/over it.

Thanks once again for ending my frustration.

Cheers

C

Version: v6.x

C->

What goes around comes around. I've learned so much from the gurus here I couldn't thank them enough. This is the BEST single source of FileMaker info on the web.

Someday you'll be helping someone with your knowledge!

Glad I could help,

Sam

Version: v7.x

This topic is 7315 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.