Where is the Application settings

This topic is 7365 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

"Be aware that OnOpen and OnClose scripts work very differently in FIleMaker Pro 7."

Please explain... I've not seen any reference in the Technical briefs.

""Be aware that OnOpen and OnClose scripts work very differently in FIleMaker Pro 7.""

"Please explain... I've not seen any reference in the Technical briefs."

I believe I am the one that said this.

There will be an additional forthcoming and extensive technical paper on these types of issues.

Basically, however, OnOpen scripts no longer run in a file if it is opened in a hidden state, as in the case of a relationship or value list.

However, when the first window of that file is drawn, the OnOpen script will then run.

On Close works differently as well. When the last window of a file closes the OnClose script will run. In some instances however such an action will not close the file, but instead will make it hidden again. This is because something in that file is needed as a dependency by a file that is still open. if the window redraws, the OnOpen script runs again.

There are some other issues with clsoing scripts that will also be covered in the upcoming Migration papers.

Steven

Unless most of my solutions are a real mess, V6 OnOpen script doesn't run when a file is opened implicitly. It only runs when a file is opened explicitly.

The other bit about the script running when the first window is drawn might keep me and one of my best customers out of V7 for quite a while. How do you open a file without running the OnOpen script? Am I really the only person in the world who has put an endless loop (or some other idiocy) in an OnOpen script and had to open the file without running the script?

I really cannot believe that, in this day and age, software corps are still producing software that requires major work to upgrade. Welcome back to the Dark Ages!!

Thanks Steven for that clarification. I've read a lot of the available documentation and don't remember seeing a reference to the startup scripts; thought I might have missed something.

I'm in the middle of my first FMP 7 project: it's a redo of a system done in FMP 6 but I'm building it completely from scratch in FMP 7, not converting any existing files or anything (just importing data).

I'm impressed with FMP 7. And with the amount of new stuff I have to learn to use all the new features. And the amount of thinking-process re-thinking ... ;-)

This topic is 7365 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.