Find Albums of compilations by CD OR by composer ?

This topic is 7312 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi

I would appreciate a solution to this problem please - I have a classical Music database already built in another program and wish to export it to FM 6. But I want to be able to find (preferably with a click on a button) all entries that are on a compilation CD. At the moment all my entries are by composer, so one CD may have 10 different composer records, but all by the same soloist/orchestra.

I would like to click the button to go to a view showing all the entries (i.e., the track list for that CD) and then go back to my layout of Composer/soloist/orchestra etc.

As I also have a unique number field (the actual CD number) then I assume a find by that number would produce just that CD with all the composers listed, but is it possible to have all this in one field or do I have to put up with just a list view. It is obviously neccessary to have two fields present in this listing - Composer and Piece (i.e., Symphony/Concerto for example)

Hope you can provide a nice elegant solution - if this is a lot of work I would be willing to pay a fee - if anyone would like to quote for the design of this - other solutions are needed also !!

Cheers

C

Version: v6.x

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

Hello Madwolfie.

The simplest method to locate all the entries for a given CD woudl be to create a self-join relationship which matches the CDnumber field to itself. The your button could be atatched to the 'Go to Related Record [show]' command, and will extract the track records for the CD.

However if you want the result returned in a special layout or in a single text field (eg formatted into columns etc) then you would require a script which assembles the data from the found records (after the Go to Related Record[ ] step), and presents it appropriately. There are a few ways this can be done, depending on your preferences.

If you'd prefer to have it done for you, I do custom development work, and would be happy to talk to you offline. If you're interested the URL below will take you to our web site, and the contact details are there.

This topic is 7312 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.