Server Maintenance This Week. ×

File Maintenence command in Developer

Vaughan

This topic is 7339 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I just noticed a "File Maintenance" command in FMDev 7 (File menu). It appears to do the equivalent of compressed copy without having to muck around with renaming files etc.

I just tried it and in about 2 seconds it reduced a 5.7 MB file to 4.6 MB.

Now to work out how to share a file, the Sharing command has gone... wink.gif

Version: Developer v7

Platform: Mac OS X Jaguar

Vaughan said:

appears to do the equivalent of compressed copy without having to muck around with renaming files etc.

I recall from the documentation that it does more than the 'save as compressed copy' command. If you choose the 'Compact File' option, I gather it is pretty much the same as saving compressed, but if you choose the 'Optimize File' option as well or instead, it also rebuilds the file's structure to group the data into logically related sectors with a view to minimizing i/o access times. The database equivalent of defragmenting a HD.

But get this. You can (apparently) run the maintenance routine (including with the optimize option) on a file while it is being hosted. I haven't tried it yet (doesn't seem much point until Server is releaased...) but it sure got my attention when I read that. smile.gif

I have got FM Dev 7 hosting a multi-table file on one machine, and have opened the file in FMP 7 running on another machine as a guest. The hosted file can indeed be compacted and optimised while it is being used without dropping guests.

All in MacOS X 10.2.8, 7.0v1.

This topic is 7339 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.