Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Layout Bugs in FIlemaker 7 ??

This topic is 7336 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

1. I just created a separate date ("//") and a time ("::") in the body of a layout. I formatted the date to be Thursday, December 25, 2003 and the time to be 1:09 PM. I then cut and pasted them both to the header and when I looked, the date was completely screwed up, with a "1" as the 1st separator, a 2 as the second separator and a 3 as the third, so the today's date reads Tuesday1March22332003". This does not happen in FMP5.

2. While importing data from another table, I found that if you move a field in the import list using the CNTL-arrow key combination, any link you have already established gets moved one field up or down (depending on which way you are arrowing), as the field being arrowed moves past it. Run through a link two times in the same direction and you will be importing data from two fields away.

3. I had 12 rectangles with superimposed text that I wanted aligned, to be used as buttons. The text was centered visually over each rectangle and then each was grouped. The 12 rectangles were then aligned vertically by their tops and horizontally to distribute evenly. I knew that the space was not sufficient and the result would have some overlapping, but I was surprised when the vertical alignment refused to align the tops and the result was a slightly staggered row. In addition, I have been forced to go back and re-center the text several times, as each time they get copied & pasted the alignment gets thrown off...

Anybody else noticing these kinds of problems, or could it be because I am using the demo version, as I wait for the boxed set to arrive?

Version: v7.x

Platform: Windows 2000

I have reproduced your date-paste problem in OS X.

No problems importing.

No problems with aligning layout graphics.

I am using the retail version of FileMaker 7.

I have experienced an unusual problem with the text cursor appearing to be in a different position in a field than where it actually is when you type (shifted to the right a few pixels).

The advantanges that the new application has should be reason to upgrade eventually. "When" might be a matter of your particular role in working with FileMaker Pro, and whether you think you can take advantage of the new features.

I work with a solution consisting of 85+ files, 230 workstations, and 350 users. This migration will take me months of preparation and months of updating after the fact, plus I have to install the new app on all our workstations. Will it be worth it? I think so.

--Mike

With the exception of the date/time issue, these annoyances disappeared with the boxed set of Developer software, which arrived yesterday.

I am firmly committed to moving to FM7, as it offers significantly more functionality to both me and to my customers. The only quandary I find myself in, is whether to completely re-create previous solutions, rather than simply convert them. It seems that it would be more rewarding (and perhaps less frustrating) to learn FM7 by creating freshly, rather than by trouble-shooting conversion anomalies.

Unfortunately, I wish we always had the ability to comment calculations, so I could figure out what I did, way back then, more quickly!

This topic is 7336 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.