Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Helvetica

Oldfogey

This topic is 7335 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

My customer has heaps of FMP files and zillions of layouts. Most of these layouts use Helvetica. A year or two back, we found that Helvetica had disappeared from the server and every other machine. Recently, I found it had disappeared off my own machine.

Anyone any idea where it might have come from in the first place? It had to be installed with something.

Yeah, I know this isn't really a FMP issue but it's close.

Oops - Windows 2K and NT4.

Version: v6.x

Platform: Windows 2000

Paul:

Doesn't Helvetica install with the OS? Otherwise, it ought to come will all sorts of apps, and you should be able to find it online somewhere as well.

I am also a bit curious how it "disappeared"... Did any other fonts vanish too?

-Stanley

No others we know of disappeared but who knows?

I'm told that Helvetica isn't a standard OS (Win) font so something else must install it. One theory is that it comes with printers. Both my customer and I installed new printers around the time our Helvetica disappeared, give or take a month or more.

If the printer theory is correct, why would installation of a printer remove a font?

I guess we'll both have to buy it and remain mystified.

Helvetica never came with Windows OS. It may have been installed with postscript printer driver software but not the basic Windows install.

FMP used to list Helvetica in the fonts list to be cross-platform compatible. Is that what you were seeing?

You mean maybe seeing shouldn't have been believing? It was there, believe me.

What do you mean 'FMP used to list Helvetica'?

I am looking for something common between my customer's and my software. The main things we have in common are FileMaker and MS Office. They have postscript printers, I don't. They use HP printers; I don't. They use NT/Citrix; I use W2K.

This topic is 7335 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.