Preventing Unwanted copying - FMLock anyone?

This topic is 6999 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi

Ok, so I've just started with FMD 7 and I'm still a complete novice - and from a filemaker community point-of-view, I'm totally for sharing stuff, ideas and demos...

but I spent the last 3 years building this database which I have finally managed to start selling - the market is limited to just 2678 potential customers ( in reality I will sell to just 5-10% of that market) - that is every school in little old NZ - the product I sell retails for just $120 USD... and once a school has bought it the licence use is unlimited - stick it on any and every computer in your school.

My issue is that school's in NZ are notorious for copying software - you know, no money argument etc.

So I can see my solution in every school in 3 years, and I'll have invoices for 11 copies or something like that!!

OK - so question - can I script my solution to prevent someone from taking an already licenced copy of the solution off a computer, and dropping it on a new one... or can I least take precautions?

I heard tell of a soln called 'FMLock' - any ideas - there website doesn't work...

Anyway, I'm buzzing today as I made my very first sale... will have a little red wine tonight to celebrate i think!!!

Andy

Version: Developer v7

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

OK i've just put together a super-simple example of checking the machines hard drive serial number on installation. The only catch is, I have never tested it on a mac so I don't know if it will work. Please let me know if it does. All the stuff you need is attached and there is only one "on open" script, no passwords or usernames.

Let me know if this helps.

Steve

Version: Developer v7

Platform: Windows XP

register.zip

Hi steve... bonza beauty mate

That's exactly the idea I was thinking of... however your solution doesn't seem to work with the mac

I opened up the file and it ran the scripts without error, which is good eh, I guess the process is good... but when I copied the file over to a second mac and opened it up, it when straight to the script step you would expect to see if the serial numbers were '='...

Three things re this then...

1. there is a _gresult field which doesn't seem to be used... :

2. maybe I could use some other system constant for the mac other than drive serial (or...

3. I understand the purpose of the EXTERNAL function - but do not know how you created it - I'm assuming the function calls the vsn of the drive? if that's the case can I create an external function which would call the serial for a mac drive?

By the way.. did I say thanks... I'm learning a bunch!!!

Andy

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Get(SystemNICAddress) - Mashines unpluged from network(fet clients) cant use Get(SystemNICAddress) because it simply doesnt "see" your NIC number. I did develop encrypt system which use NIC number to check out relation between licence number and mashine but only possible to use when my cable was pluged to the network. Considering that here we talk abot school, "NIC" might do the trick.

This topic is 6999 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.