Portal Problems

jludwig

This topic is 7303 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Folks,

I'm trying to figure out why creating a new record in the portal window doesn't automatically increment my serial number field. I set up the child db to have a serial field that increments by 1 and can't be modified, yet, when I create a new record in the portal. I get another record with the same Serial! What am I doing wrong?

In the related file, I have a field called "Serial". I have the options set to auto-enter Serial number with increments of 1. I also click the "Prohibit Modification of Value" toggle at the bottom of the options panel.

Version: v6.x

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

Hi -

The relationship from your parent to child database would be using an auto enter serial # (primary key) in the parent file to a serial number field (foreign key) that is just a number or text format (the same format as that of the primary key).

The child database has a serial # field that gives each record a unique # but this is not used to create the relationship from the parent to child. This can be used to create relationships from this child database to another database.

Basically, when you create a related record via the portal that child record has the same # in the match field of the relationship as the parent database. The fact that a unique serial # exists for the child database is of no concern to the parent at this point.

HTH

This topic is 7303 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.