Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Problems with hosted DB, multiple users

This topic is 7322 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've recently been having problems with established relationships - it has only been within the last couple of weeks, which is why I'm puzzled!

I have a multi-file solution with about a dozen separate files, joined in various ways. Lately, Filemaker can't "find" files in a specified relationship, and when it asks you to open the file it claims that the file is "single user or the host can't be found on the network". All of the files are multi-user, and I currently don't have passwords on any of them as I'm still in the development stage. It has been happening specifically with about 4 of the files.

The solution rests on a remote hard drive, which everyone in the company saves all work on/works on documents from - could this possibly be the issue?

FileMaker Version: 6

Platform: Windows 2000

MMBadger:

As Reed points out, the remote drive is indeed the likely culprit. To share a FileMaker database, you've got to "host" it somewhere - either with a standard copy of FM Pro, or with FileMaker Server. All the other users access the "host" via the "Open Remote" command... Otherwise you end up with multiple users opening/saving/closing a database directly, and file corruption is pretty much guaranteed.

-Stanley

So as I understand, it would be plausible to "host" the files on a dedicated computer and have others access the files from there - which would mean that Filemaker would have to be open at all times. I'm also guessing that the solution should be backed up elsewhere in case the hard drive of that computer fries itself at some random moment?

Because I haven't had experience with FM Pro Server, could someone also explain when to use it instead of a standard copy (multi-user or not) of FM Pro?

Many Thanks,

Michelle

Michelle -

If you use Filemaker 6 to host the files then FileMaker will need to be up and running - on Windows this means an account must always be logged on the hosting PC or server with FileMaker open. For backups you will need to close the databases and run your backup.

If you use FileMaker Server then it runs as a service so no one needs to be logged on. Additionally, you can schedule your backups within FileMaker Server - the databases are paused and backed up automatically - you can then make a backup of those backup copies - you do not use a backup program to backup the "live" databases.

Will

This topic is 7322 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.