TextColour calculation - can't modify value

This topic is 7295 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I've been waiting for the ability to turn one text field RED based on the value of another.

Situation: I have a personally created Wine database. Each wine has a name and the ability to select from a Pop-Up menu "Want" "Have" etc. I've wanted to be able to highlight the names of wines I want in RED on screen for easier location (when no FIND or SORT has been done).

A quick read of the FM7 online help for "TextColor Function" allowed me to program the following:

Name = If ( (Status = "Want ") ; TextColor ( Name ; RGB ( 255 ; 0 ; 0 ) ); TextColor ( Name ; RGB ( 0 ; 0 ; 0 ) ) )

Where Status is the Pop-Up Menu and Name is the Name of the wine.

Looks great. Wanted items show in red.

Problem: Now I cannot change the contents NAME field. If I happen to have mis-typed "Burgundy" I cannot correct it because the field is calculated. Makes sense but not what I had wanted.

Or if I create a new record I cannot enter anyting into the Name field.

I can imaging creating a NAME2 filed that I type into but this means a redundant field just for entry.

Is there anyway to be able to apply TextColor formatting and still be able to modify the contents of the Name field?

thanks to any/all for suggestions

Bill Quattlebaum

FileMaker Version: 7

Platform: Mac OS X Jaguar

Sure -

Make the field a text field and then in the options you have an auto enter calculation option.

Place your calculation in there.

Click ok and now uncheck the Do not replace existing value for field (if any).

You can now change the contents of the field, yet if the status is Want the value will be red.

This topic is 7295 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.