Possible to perform "websearch" with FM7?

This topic is 7316 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I would like to make a search criteria that works like a google search. I would like to search many fields with one search word. How do i do this with FM7?

FileMaker Version: 7

Platform: Windows XP

I haven't tried this, but I think you could do this by making your search field a calc that concatonates all the fields you want to search on

Search Field=

Field1 & "<Paragraph>" &

Field2 & "<Paragraph>" &

Field3 & "<Paragraph>" &

Field4 & "<Paragraph>" &

Field5

You wouldn't want to put any related fields into this search calc, it would make all searchs too slow.

• Newbies

Like the previous poster said, it's easy to make a calculation "Keyword" field where are of your search criteria is entered. For example:

Keyword =

First Name & " " & Last Name & " " & Address & " " & City & " " & State & " " & Zip

The resulting field would look like this:

Joe Blow 1234 First St Anytown AnyState 12345

That field can be put on a layout and (in Filemaker 7) be restricted to finds only.

FileMaker Version: 7

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

Thanks, but isnt it possible to make a new search request, and script this? I have tried the original find feature in FM (manually) and then you can search one field and then press a button "new request" (when in find mode) and after this i can search another field. When i then press "Find" then it seems like it make a kind of extended search, i would like this function, but i would like to script it, is this possible?

Otherwise i will just use the great examples posted above.

Sounds like you want to broaded your search by finding all records that match ANY of the criteria entered. Maybe this could be scripted by parsing the search field after the user enters search terms, and creating additional requests for each term.

This topic is 7316 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.