will import order survive file rename?

This topic is 7311 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

I need to rename a file currently used to import records (via import script). The import order involves alot of fields which would be a pain having to do it all again. Will the import order stay intact if I change the file name in the script. The file itself will be the same. I need to change from 'all.xls' to 'all.csv'. When viewing both these files in Excel they appear the same.

FileMaker Version: 6

Platform: Windows XP

• 2 weeks later...

What I meant by "When viewing both these files in Excel they appear the same" is:

each save to all.xls overwrites the previous version. For each save the data within the file is different but the structure is the same - ie same columns/fields when viewed with excel.

If I call the file all.csv and point the import script to this file, will the import order defined in the script be OK?

Usually the import order is not affected by the change of a filename. What will affect it is renaming a field, adding or removing fields.

One method that can be used to get around these problems too is to use an XML data format and create a stylesheet that deals with the import of data. The stylesheet tells the data where to go, even if the field name has moved or changed name.

But in your case you should be fine.

Best bet, try it out.

This topic is 7311 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.