Moving fields and setting fonts

J

This topic is 7310 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This may be a newbie questions, but...

Is there a way in fm7 to set font size of fields based on data in another field?

What about setting the actual font of a field based on the data in another field?

What about the vertical location of a field based on the data in another (calculated field)?

What about the vertical location of a Form Layout Part based on the data in another (calculated) field?

Why do some fonts and font sizes not show up when formatting a field in design mode?

FileMaker Version: Server 7

Platform: Windows 2000

From my work so far in FMP 7, there appears to be no function or command that can tell you how text is formatted. There are functions that can *change* text formatting, but none to report what the formatting of existing text is.

If anybody knows of a function that can report on the format of existing text, please let me know.

Answering your question "setting the actual font of a field based on the data in another field" if the data in the other field is a font name then yes it can be done. If you want to format data in one field similar to that in another then no.

Regarding vertical locations of fields: you'd have to use sliding/printing to move fields around in layouts.

Vaughan said:

From my work so far in FMP 7, there appears to be no function or command that can tell you how text is formatted. There are functions that can *change* text formatting, but none to report what the formatting of existing text is.

How about show as HTML/CSS/SVG?

it is easy to parse he fontinfo, and then set the fromatting accordingly.

But remember, this info is layout-dependant, so make the calc unstored.

Thank you for your responses. I would prefer not to show as html. Can you please point me in the right direction to read up on this?

To Mr. Bromfield... I am not trying to look at the setting for another field, but the data contained in the field. For example, if a person ordered their information to be printed in a cursive font, that font name would be stored in a data field. I would like to read that field to set the format of some other fields on a form. So that those fields would be shown or printed in the cursive font, and not a times font. Also, would like to set the verticle location of a layout part, and or field. Also would like to adjust font size. Anybody have any experience doing this?

This topic is 7310 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.