Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Field indexing not saving

This topic is 7313 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Here is a new one on me. I have a calulation field with a numeric result. It is a simple If statement that uses two indexed numeric fields within the same file. FM 5.5 will allow me to turn on indexing when I define the field. BUT, FM converts the indexing status to Do not store as soon as you quite define fields. I only noted this because when I would try to search this field it would have to index first. Open up define fields and there it is, an unstored calculation again. I have rebuilt the file several times. Again, no global field, no summary fields, no related fields and no unstored fields are used in the if statement. FM has no problems allowing me to set indexing to on. It just will not index the field.

I use this calc field in another calculation that needs to be indexed. Any thoughts. Thanks.

FileMaker Version: 5

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

• Newbies

Okay, I figured it out. There was a related field in a tertiary calculation. To be specific. I had a field Calc A that equaled "If(Field A > 1, Field A, Field ???. Both Field A and Field B where indexed fields. But Filed B was a calc field, and in its calculation was a numeric field (Field C) with an auto-enter calculation. A field used in the auto enter calculation was a related field.

So even though FM would let me index the field, it was not happy and would not index Field Calc A. Eliminating the related field reference in Field C's autoenter calc resolved the issue for Field Calc A.

I hope this info will be useful for other folks who may encounter this situation.

FileMaker Version: 5

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

This topic is 7313 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.