Multipage/Single Record Layouts

Nezz

This topic is 7275 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a client that needs a patient health record system that has the ability to print out and store their client's health information. One of the problems I have run into is how to setup FM so that it will adhere to their rigid chart template. Can anyone point me in the right direction when it comes to designing single record/multi-page layouts? The multi-page layout is rather large (86 pages). Will FM handle this or not?

Nezz->

Welcome to the forums!

FM will handle it, the implementation depends on what you have. Are the templates some graphic/pdf you can import into FileMaker? You can overlay these forms with fields easily.

Turn off Object Grids in the Arrange menu so you can move fields a pixel at a time to align them with the underlying form (you can also use the arrow keys to do this). If Object Grids are on, hold down the command key on Mac/alt key on PC to drag a field without snapping to grid.

FileMaker has limitations on layout size, what can go on various parts, etc. My guess is that you'll need a separate layout for each page. Theoretically, multiple forms can be put in the body of one layout. The gotcha is that printer margins vary, so the exact locations of vertical and horizontal page breaks will vary. IMHO, dealing with this is a royal PITA.

Was this any help?

• Newbies

Thank you for your prompt response! I am feeling very welcomed here at FMF. (wow, what a change in venue for a bbs)

I am very impressed with the new FileMaker v7. It has a clean interface and is very intuitive and user friendly. For this reason I chose it to design my client's new patient health information system. FM7 being cross-platform was also a major selling factor. There is a manual (paper-based) information system in place now. He is looking for a electronic version of his paperbased system that will not only print the patient's paperwork chart but also store it in a database. The current patient chart is approx. 88 pages with a few graphics and signatures. I plan on utilizing some of the wonderful graphical plugins I have found to store any doctor/patient signatures that need to be stored with their forms. I have also found plugins that will allow scanned documents to be stored in containers. Very few developement platforms have been this easy on the eyes to learn. I hope to be able to use FM for a variety of application conversions out of access.

Sounds like a neat project! I concur that FM7 is a great development environment. Be aware that some bugs/glitches are being discovered. If something in 7 doesn't work the way you think it should, search here or ask, it may be a known issue (known to us, anyway...)

• 1 month later...

Nezz said:

I have also found plugins that will allow scanned documents to be stored in containers.

Hi

Hmmm interesting - I would not have thought that you would need a plug-in to enable FM to store scanned documents - FM supports just about all graphic formats, and pdf as well... what's the plug-in and why exactly are you using it?

smile.gif Andy

This topic is 7275 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.