Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Save as file extensions

This topic is 7304 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I need to "Save a copy" of the database on CD/DVD at the end of each operators entry period in case of the proverbial screw up. At present it will save, but it always saves to the same file overwriting the last saved file.

I cannot seem to construct a script that will give the file a unique extension like a date & time stamp for each save. I know this is easily remedied on the File menu by saving as "!"

The operators will not have access to the file menu. I have it set that all they do is click a CD/DVD icon on the splash screen and it saves a copy to CD/DVD automatically.

I am new to Developer 7 and might be missing something very obvious! Has anyone done a workaround on this before.

Any suggestions, of a polite nature, would be welcome.

FileMaker Version: Dev 7

Platform: Windows XP

Two ways to handle this...

First - Save to a specified filename (probably what you are doing now) then using a plug-in like Troi File or a few others you can rename and or move the file as you wish with a unique name and not overwrite. I do this frequently using the Troi plug-in and use the date and time in the name as an example. You might like to incorporate the user's name.

Second - New Millenium has a plug-in called DialogMagic that dynamically creates uniquely named export files from within a script, and lets you specify where you want them located - even create a folder on-the-fly. You said you currently save a copy... this function works with exporting which you may or may not prefer.

As I already said these are not the only two plug-ins that can help you with this. Just two for example. FileMaker alone will not handle this for you.

• Newbies

Thanks to Quin Tech and Doug Leib.

I will have a look at the plug-ins as suggested. The second "New Millenium" seems to do more what I require. I or admin will not always be around to change file names after an operator saves a session. I had already tried to set it up both ways as "Save a copy or using export.

Thanks again I will go and investigate

Bill

FileMaker Version: Dev 7

Platform: Windows XP

This topic is 7304 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.