amateur problem - simple relationship

sstearne

This topic is 7282 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

hello. i have been assigned the task of creating a simple relational database that shows details of employees of a building company, with their wages, job site details, and client details also. My transaction file (named employees/jobs) is for each emlployee working on one day, and how many hours they did that day will be recorded.

The problem is that i cant make the "hourly wage" link through to the transaction file. The separate "wage" file contains the hourly pay for each job type (eg plumber makes 19.00 an hour) and it links into the employee file just fine, but then i cant get the wage to come up automatically into the transaction file. help?!?!?!

sorry my description is pretty bad, but i think there is a simple solution there, i just cant find it.

FileMaker Version: 5

Platform: Windows XP

Welcome.

>The separate "wage" file contains the hourly pay for each job type (eg plumber makes 19.00 an hour)

Do all plumbers make the same amount per hour or is there more going on here? Seems like a Wage record would either be a base wage for that position or there would be a wage record for each employee-position instance. Please clarify.

If there is an ID for job type you could set that in your transaction file and use a relationship between that ID and the ID in the wage file to obtain the wage.

As noted by Ender more information is needed to offer a complete and accurate reply.

This topic is 7282 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.