Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Managing documents in container fields

This topic is 7297 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I experimented briefly on my trial version to see how the new feature of inserting files into container fields works. It seemed pretty easy but I couldn't work out how to open the files once inserted in the field. I'd imagine you could do this perhaps with a script linked to button or something?? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Also, for storing multiple documents in a single record I assume you would use a repeating field? Any tips?

FileMaker Version: 7

Platform: Windows 2000

When you store the files in the container field, you just need to export the contents of the field and then open the file with an application. On windows you could use the send message script step to do this.

I probably wouldn't use repeating fields... I would put one file in each record, and then create another table where the records contain a portal that can show multiple related records from your documents table.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still stuck on this one. Not sure what it means to "export the contents of the field" and then how to use the "send message script" to open it?? Has anyone got a working example they could send me or perhaps some detailed instructions before my trial version expires?

This topic is 7297 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.