FMP WSC Newbie question

This topic is 7301 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm having problems with a database solution with online access locking up. I have a Win 2000 server hosting the database with FMP Server 5. I am using a second Win 2000 server running FMP Unlimited 5.5 connecting to the server and using FileMaker Web Companion. I only have one license for FMU and am holding out for FMP Advanced Server 7 so I can't setup a RAIC. I thought it might help if I use FMP WSC to allow IIS to publish the web pages and let FMPU and FMPS focus on the database operations. Will this help or am I wasting my time?

I think I have setup up WSC and IIS properly. FMPU is setup to use port 591. I was able to successfuly add the databases to the WSC configuration. This sounds silly, but how do I know if IIS is publishing the pages or if Web Companion is publishing the pages?

FileMaker Version: 5

Platform: Windows 2000

Look at the port the web browser is connecting to. If it's 80 (the default) then it'll be IIS because you've configured WC to work through 591.

I was afraid of that. The pages only seem to work through port 591. Port 80 results in a "Under Construction" page appearing. Do you have to setup a site within IIS that looks to the FMPU Web folder?

I guess the more important question is, is this going to help any? Will shifting web services from WC to IIS on the same computer provide any additional stability, reliability or speed?

You must use a "real" web server such as IIS or Apache in conjunction with FileMaker Unlimited if you need functionality such as server side includes or SSL support - beyond those requirements I'm not sure if you get any speed or reliability advantages - I guess it depends on the number of hits you expect to get etc. One argument against throwing IIS (or Apache) into the mix is additional configuration steps, keeping up with security patches and speed in disaster recvovery if you need to rebuild the box. But I am also waiting for FM Server 7 ADvanced to see what it offers.

In WSC I have my host domain set to the loopback address 127.0.0.1 but you could probably use the web server IP or hostname as well - port is 591. You can verify your databases are served in "configure by host."

In IIS Internet Services Manager you will need to map the path to your web files - if you have no other websites or virtual directories on the server you can use the default website - go to the properties of the website and click the home directory tab. You may also need to define your default document or else you will need to type in the exact path when you connect to your homepage in the browser.

Will

This topic is 7301 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.