Key limitation for conditional value lists...

This topic is 7278 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

In FmPro 6 ....

When Creating an index on a text field for relational purposes, filemaker indexes the first 20 characters of each word or the first 60 characters of the key, so when you might be concatenating two (or more) words, you can exceed the 20 characters per word limit, but if you put spaces between the words, you are likely to run into that problem and you get each word in your index. So if we put spaces between the words, the 60 characters limit is the only problem for use bigger key in our relation.

Did anyone know what is the limit in FM Pro 7 :)

Is same or something bigger...?

FileMaker Version: Dev 7

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

What do you mean...?

Lets say I had to make A set and then subset A and subset B and so on... for conditional value lists

I have in my solution 5 popup menus

1)Cars

2)BMW

3) Z series

4) Z4

5) Z4 2.5 (225 HP)

I think that a child category entity can be a parent of another level of categorization, which can continue for unlimited levels (Well not actually unlimited ... the limit is a key 107 characters long ). And I think that every level must also be part of the set defined by the topmost parent category.

How I can calculate this situation...(relation) ?

FileMaker Version: Dev 7

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

Doug Leib said:

Likely you won't need so many long concatenated key with 7 since your relationships can be created with calculated keys.

What he;s saying is, the individual key fields have the potential to be quite a bit shorter. In the past, if you had a POS system with several stores, you might have created a key from the invoice to the line items that was buil on a calculation that combines the store ID and the Invoice ID as the key. In v7, you can simpley create a realtionship using these two fields simotaneously without having to create a the calc field that combines them to create the single key.

This topic is 7278 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.