Printing labels without duplicates n address field

This topic is 7298 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey everyone, I dont think my post went thru so let me try this again. Basically Im just trying to figure out the necesary script/find criteria/whatever for printing out labels from FM7.

I want to be able to print labels for every contact found in the "Contact" Table, and each Contact has a ContactID. Well the problem is, married couples have seperate Contact ID's and I'm only wanting to send one letter to them, not two, so I'm wanting to search for duplicates in the Address field of the contact table and only list one in the label layout/printout. I figure this way no matter how many contacts from a single household signup, itll only make one label for that Address (I dont care which person's name gets put on the label). Is there a simple enough solution to this? I'm new to filemaker so clear instructions are greatly appreciated.

I've looked around for a similar post/solution but couldnt find anything so hopefully someone can help out. I truly appreciate it, this forum has been a Godsend! Thanks again!

FileMaker Version: 7

Platform: Windows XP

One way is to have your labels on a Sub-summary by Address part. To do this you would want to use an Address calc that concatonates all the parts of an address that make a houshold unique (Address, Zip, Unit.) Then sort your list by Address calc.

The problem with this method is you get labels that are in order by address instead of something useful, like Name.

Thanx Ender for responding... I tried to figure it out but Im still a little stumped. First of all I dont need any concatination cuz i just want to compare the StreetAddress Field (Ex: 1234 Circle Dr.) so can i not reference to the streetaddress field in the Contact table rather than creating an additional calculation field?

Second, Do i need to create a new sub-summary part or just change the body to a sub-summary part? I take it I should be doing this on the Label layout and not the Contact Layout where the records are being pulled from.

When I tried to add a sub-summary report i put it above the body in the label layout and told it to sort all records by streetaddress and selected "Show Below records" but when i went to print, it printed two addresses that were identical so it wasnt working.

I guess Im just not getting this sub-summary mentality to the fullest... sorry to be so needy of details but Im not getting anywhere. Thanks again for helping out!

Change the body part of the label layout to a Sub-Summary.

The address calc is in case you have a separate fields for house number, street, apartment number. Also there could be addresses with the same house and street number but in different cities. The address calc prevents those from being combined into one label (it is only used for sorting/sub-summary purposes.)

This topic is 7298 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.