FM Pro 7 and XML/XSLT

This topic is 7325 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am wholly confused by the sales and technical literature. For one thing, I've yet to see a decent matrix chart of features broken out by product.

My main concern is whether FM Pro 7 supports XML/XSLT or not. (I'm NOT referring to IWP, Server 7, Server 7 Advanced, Server 7 Advanced Unlimited Super Mega Expensive Ultra!)

FileMaker sales info has muddied matters by discussing XML under the FM Pro tab... and then after a sentence or two dragging in the Server 7 name. Also, I clearly remember when Claris dropped features from a FM Pro version and moved them into a higher priced component.

So, the question is:

So, the question is:

Does FM Pro 7 (plain vanilla) support or not support XML/XSLT?

All versions of Filemaker 7 support XML import / export via the File menu and via scripts.

From what I understand, the only version of FM Pro 7 that supports XSLT is 7 Server Advanced. (Yes, this is the ultra mega expensive one)

The reason for this is that it's the only version that comes with the Custom Web Publishing Engine, without which, 7 has no way of dealing with interactive XML requests.

The upside is that the XML Implimentation appears to be much improved. Unfortunately while Server 7 Preview includes some documentation on Custom Web Publishing, the Web Publishing Engine isn't part of the downloadable installation.

MDJ

From what I understand, the only version of FM Pro 7 that supports XSLT is 7 Server Advanced. (Yes, this is the ultra mega expensive one)

Tell me it ain't so!!! That would mean that a solution interacting with QuickBooks via xml and getting return data via xslt would be crapped out. I use this extensively with v6 runtimes. Or am I (hopefully) misunderstanding something here??

Yep, it's got to go on the web, no less. And here I was looking forward to hours of XSLT tinkering.

I'm still learning, but it seems to me that IWP would appeal to the same audience that wouldn't want to learn HTML, JavaScript, etc. If y'all are right here, that kind of leave us out in the cold, wouldn't you say?

Or are we panicking too soon?

Uh oh, gentlemen.

I think I found the answer to my own question about 4 o'clock this morning. One line in one of the conversion manuals (one of the first manuals I scanned) states that you need the Web Publishing Engine, part of Server 7 Advanced, to host CWP databases on the web. shocked.gif

You also still need FM Pro to set up the extended privileges for CWP.

This topic is 7325 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.