Display info based on a drop down list selection

This topic is 7274 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I need some help, any would be appreciated, I wish to display a phone number based on what someone selects in a drop down list.

The complication is...this.

(It can be any one of a series of numbers stored in 5 different fields. times the number of records.)

I start with a company in a drop down list once that is selected you move to the second drop down list and select the staff member one of 5 possible for that company. this is the list I need to use to pick the mobile phone number.

How I do the above check out the pics attached. it may give you an idea (I also use a calculation fields to combine the 5 staff members together for the second drop down list) it may not be the best way but I have only been working in the program for 2 weeks so bear with me.

The two tables involved are the 'client' table holding 5 fields for various mobile numbers and the 'meeting' table /5 fields waiting for the mobile numbers labeled 'Attending 1 mobile' through to 5 maybe not the best label but will do for now.

Appreciate any help remember I have to do this 5 times in a layout allowing for more than one company attending a meeting.

Thank you,

Keith

meeting_crop.jpg

relationship_image.jpg

Keith, i would first note that the Meeting table has "Attending Person 1", "Attending Person 2", ... as fields. This is probably not your best bet, as you are currently limited to 6 attendees per meeting. May i suggest this:

Create a third table called "ClientsMeetings" which has two fields: ClientID and MeetingID. Relate this new table to Clients using ClientID as a key on both sides, and relate it to Meetings using MeetingID as a key on both sides.

In your Meetings file, trigger a script that allows the user to select a company, then select a name from within that company; then creates a record in ClientsMeetings that records the currently selected MeetingID and ClientID. Now you can list unlimited meeting attendees; you also have access to whatever data (such as phone numbers) is available in the Clients table.

Hope this helps. If it's not in detail enough, let us know.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for your reply, I think I get the idea sort of however as my meeting table holds some 80 odd fields I can only have 1 record per meeting so if I understand you correcly I have to create a script that keeps adding names etc to a field. within the meeting table.

Or do I need to create a forth table here because of this. that holds just the client employee details?

On thinking about it. I think a little more detail would be appricated.

As mentioned before I'm new to filemaker I had not heard of it prior to 2 weeks hence. Not saying thats bad or anything as prior to my buying a WRX I had never heard of them either, (talk about a wolf in sheeps clothing there) don't think I'd drive anything thing else now.... but getting side tracked here. haha. Some more help would be good.

Thanks heaps,

Keith

This topic is 7274 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.