Sign in to follow this  
Lamplighter

Dynamic Field Sizing & Placement

Let me first apologize for what are problably very beginner-esque questions. I've been working on this invoicing system for two days and my learning curve is painful (I've never used FMP). So here we go:

These invoices will include a list of the tasks I completed and how long each task took. Obviously, there will be a different number of tasks performed each month.

1) How can I dynamically add or subtract fields to each individual record, depending on how many tasks I performed?

2) Once created, how can I dynamically place and size those fields, depending on how much text they contain (much like the way tables in an html page behave)?

I've attached a .PDF file that shows the basic layout of the invoice.

invoice.pdf

Now is the time to learn about relational databases. Instead of multiple fields, think "bigger" and think of multiple related records.

->

Sorry, smart-alec reply. wink.gif

Read the FMP help, build yourself a very simple 2-file relationship and learn how portals work.

I posted a demo file for collecting coins, take a look at it so see what you can do with relationships when you have too much free time. wink.gif