Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Peer to peer network reliability

This topic is 7303 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

This problem is frustrating me probably because I'm not a networking expert, here goes with the explaination. My office has 3 macs running Mac OS X . 1 machine has a bunch of FM files set to multi-user, the other two machines pickup these files using the open> hosts command. Each machine has a fixed IP and has the same subnet mask. The problem is that the file host machine is not left on all the time, being put to sleep overnight, as are the "client" machines. On occasions the client machines are unable to get the files (blank host window) the only way to get them back on line is to restart FM on the host machine. Has anyone any suggestions as to how to get around this issue, is the location of the files on the host machine of any relevance?

Get a dedicated computer to use as as an FM Host server. Ideally get a copy of FM Server and it can backup the files automatically for you.

• Newbies

its a shame that when the Macs were running OS 9 I had no connectivity issues with FM,I suppose that was because all the machines were turned off overnight. Is the server route the only route to take with this? am I not going to get the same problems if the Server is put to sleep overnight (stop sniggering)

"am I not going to get the same problems if the Server is put to sleep overnight"

Servers should stay on awake 24x7. Maybe let the hard disk sleep, but even that's bordering on false economy. Do you turn your refrigerator off during the day when you're not at home?

This topic is 7303 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.