Accessing PDF on Server from a PC

elizabethb

This topic is 7309 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

I've tried deciphering the answer from previous posts, but am still fuzzy.

How do I make a remote PDF accessible from FMP for PC users? The PDF files will be located on a Mac server. How do I set the path?

Sorry if I'm not clear. I've never tried anything like this before.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth -

You will need to get the full path to the server. I have not done this from PC to Mac, but the other way around.

Best bet is to manually find the path, by accessing the server from the pc (outside of FileMaker). Once you have done this, you will then be able to use this path in a calculation field, combining this with the pdf file name.

You should then be able to access the pdf using this path.

Does this help?

Elizabeth,

Just a different way of looking at the problem you raise. Why not serve up your PDFs via web address and leave it up to your clients to figure out how to access and display them? You can activate the web server on the Mac and position the PDF files to make them web addressable. Then save the URL of each file in your database instead of the folder/file path. I suggest you store a relative address and use a global calculation field to build the absolute URL by prefixing the http://dns.name.of.the.mac/virtualdirectory to what's kept in the records.

Cheers,

John.

This topic is 7309 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.