Server Maintenance This Week. ×

PROBLEM USING XP PRO TO HOST FM6 IN P2P NETWORK

KarlG

This topic is 7233 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I HAVE A TWO MACHINE P2P NETWORK IN MY OFFICE. A NEW XP PRO MACHINE AND A MAC OS 10.3.3. THE PC HAS A FILEMAKER PRO 6 SOLUTION LOADED ON IT AND ACTS AS HOST TO THE OTHER MACHINE.

THE SYSTEM WORKED FINE WITH MY OLD PC, WHICH WAS RUNNING 2000. BUT I JUST PUT IN THE NEW MACHINE WITH XP PRO, AND NOW I CAN'T CONNECT TO THE XP PRO MACHINE FROM THE CLIENT (IT DOESN'T APPEAR AUTOMATICALLY ON THE LIST OF HOSTS, AND IT DOESN'T SEE IT WHEN I TYPE IN THE IP ADDRESS EITHER)

THE FILEMAKER PREFERENCES ARE ALL SET UP THE SAME AS THEY WERE WITH THE 2000 MACHINE.

IT HAS BEEN SUGGESTED TO ME THAT XP PRO WILL NOT LET FILEMAKER FUNCTION AS A HOST AND THAT I NEED TO REBUILD THE NEW PC WITH 2000 IF I WANT TO USE IT AS AN FM HOST. IS THIS TRUE?

WHAT AM I MISSING?

It sounds like you have the Internet Connection Firewall switched on. Have a look in the properties for your network connection. On the Advanced tab is a checkbox for this. Switch it off and see if the Mac can access your DBs. Then if your network does not have a firewall to the internet, you should leave the XP firewall switched on but open up port 5003 for the FileMaker connection.

Cheers,

John.

I can ping the XP machine from the Mac. In fact, I don't have any trouble establishing a file sharing connection to the XP machine.

I just checked again, and I have the firewall turned off on the XP machine in the Network Connections control panel/ Local Area Connection Properties.

There are many more settings in the Internet Connections control panel, including some that appear to apply to my LAN, particularly in the "security", "connections" and "advanced" tabs. Many of those options I'm not familiar with, and I don't know if they could interfere with FileMaker.

Thank you for your help.

If you mean the Internet Options control panel from Internet Explorer, its settings pertain to XP acting as a client. You're having trouble acting as a host. Have a look to see if you can see any servers running on XP. From the Mac, open the Network Utility program and do a port scan on the XP box. Ensure you can see port 5003. If you see other ports but not 5003 then FileMaker is not running in remote data access mode on XP. If you see no open ports then I suspect the XP firewall or TCP/IP filter is still switched on. The latter requires a restart to have the changes take effect. Have a look and we'll see what to do next.

Cheers,

John.

Results of the port scan from the mac:

Open Port: 135 epmap

Open Port: 139 netbios-ssn

Open Port: 445 microsoft-ds

Open Port: 1025 blackjack

Open Port: 5000 commplex-main

Open Port: 5003 fmpro-internal

Open Port: 16550

Port Scan has completed ...

5003 is open. I'm curious what on earth "blackjack" is.

I checked again and tcp/ip filter is definitely not enabled. I am using control panels> network connections> LAN> general> properties> tcp/ip >advanced> options> TCP/IP filtering > properties (and I have all the permisions set to "permit all" just in case).

Firewall is turned off from control panels> network connections> LAN> advanced>

Unless there is a second firewall and TCP/IP control panel somewhere, I am confident that they are both disabled.

Thanks,

Karl

Blackjack should be a game that comes bundled with XP. Nothing appears out of order with your network settings. Are you positive you have all the FileMaker settings on the XP client identical to the settings on the Win 2K box? Have you tried reinstalling FileMaker on the XP box?

When I move the FM files to the Mac and use the XP pro machine as a client, I don't have any trouble. Which makes me think that the files are okay.

I can't say for sure if the multi-user buttons are checked, because the files are part of a FM solution I purchased and they are all password protected. Although as the solution is starting up and opening all of its files I can see screen messages flash by that say "allow multi-user".

Also, I did try setting up a little test database. And in that case I can definitely say that the the box for multi-user and the remote data companion box were checked.

I have reloaded FileMaker.

Karl -

If you are saying you already tried reloading FileMaker on XP and you also set up a test database on the XP PC that can't be accessed from the Mac then I don't know what else to suggest. Do you have a Windows laptop or another PC that you can use to try and access the FileMaker files on the XP box?

Yes, I tried reloading FileMaker and I did make a little test database on the XP Pro PC.

I do not have another machine here, but I'm sure I can borrow one without much trouble. Although I may not be able to get my hands on another machine running XP Pro very easily.

Thanks for your help

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got the problem solved. FileMaker suggested reloading the XP Pro security patches one at a time and rebooting inbetween. Aparently someone else had had a similar problem and this fixed it.

I reloaded all the patches as instructed.

Still wouldn't work.

Just for kicks I completely uninstalled my Panda anti-virus software (I had already turned it off and shut down its services in services control panel).

Then my problem went away.

I believe that my problem predated the Panda software on my machine - so the security patches may have been part of it even though reloading them didn't seem to cure things.

I can't figure out what the disabled (or enabled for that matter) Panda software could have been doing - there is no firewall function built in according to the documentation.

Anyways, its working now

• 1 month later...

This topic is 7233 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.