Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Can't Get FM DSN on XP Pro or W2K

beowulf

This topic is 7287 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Folks,

I'm posting this in the Windows section because I think this problem may be more OS-related than FM-related. The reason I say this is because I've successfully reproduced the problem with both FM6 and FM7 on both Windows XP Pro and Windows 2000. Here's what happens:

When I open Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Data Sources (ODBC), none of the FileMaker ODBC drivers are displayed. Not for User, not for System, and not for File. Nada. This is what it looks like:

add_new_dsn.jpg

Yeah, I've activated the Local and Remote Data Access plug-in's in FM, and I've set my database sharing privileges to Multi-User. I've even completely uninstalled FileMaker and re-installed a couple of times, just to make sure I wasn't running into the "Custom Install" problem where the ODBC drivers are left out. The drivers are definitely on my system. My Dell XP box came pre-installed with this Borland Database Engine control panel (I think it's part of Dell's support spyware), and it lets you see all the ODBC drivers installed on the system. As you can see in the following screen, the FileMaker stuff is present:

BDE_grab.jpg

So can anyone give me a clue why FM isn't showing up in the Add DSN list? Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!

Best,

Will said:

When you go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Data Sources (ODBC) you are clicking "add" before you click "configure" to add the FM driver and it still does not show up?

Yes, the Create New DSN dialog shown in the screenshot I posted is the one you get when you click Add. I did finally get this to work on W2K by uninstalling and reinstalling FM6 for a third or fourth time. XP Pro is still horked though. Thanks for showing interest.

Best,

TSC has developed a comprehensive guide with step-by-step instructions for Windows users to install and configure the ODBC driver for FileMaker 7 and Microsoft Excel. This 7 page document provides even a beginning user to set-up their FileMaker database for ODBC connectivity. These instructions contain screen shots for each step of the process with written instructions. All the information you need to use ODBC with FileMaker 7 on Windows machines is in this document.

This document covers:

FileMaker Database Settings

Installing the ODBC Driver

Configuring the ODBC Driver

Importing data from FileMaker 7 into Excel

http://fmdeveloper.com/store/ODBC.php

FileMaker 6 was really more of a priority than 7, and $25 for a 7-page "manual" seems a little inflated. But thanks for the pointer and good luck with that.

Best,

This topic is 7287 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.