Sliding, Printing, and the 2nd page

TheCaretaker

This topic is 7283 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a form that is filled out via the web in Filemaker. There is a place for 4 separate text comments. Since I never know how long the comments might be, the Filemaker layout has a single text box with MERGE FIELDS (like <<Comment1>>) so the comments flow nicely. The problem is that some users have exceeded the normal length of a comment which resulted in the last comment being cut off in many cases,

So, I decided to add a second page to the layout (I just slid the body downward) and made the comment text box longer. I set it to slide up. This way, if there were normal comments, the second page wouldn't print. I was thinking the 2nd page would only print if there were long comments that ran over to the 2nd page.

Well, my little experiment failed. Every record prints two pages regardless of comment length. There is nothing on the second page at all except the bottom of this comment text box (which slides up like it should.) So even though the text box slides up, FMP is still printing a blank page.

Please help if you can or suggestions on something different would help too!

Caretaker:

Welcome to the Forums. In the printing/sliding dialog, with your text box selected, select "also reduce size of enclosing part." This should cause the body of the layout to shrink onto one page.

-Stanley

• Newbies

Thats what I thought too but it doesn't.

I should add that the text box in question is NOT a field but a text layout block made up of merge fields. Apparently, a layout text block won't slide. Well, it slides but it doesn't discard the unused part.

I could use a Calculation field if there was a way to stylize parts of the text contained. I don't think you can do that either.

• 3 weeks later...

This topic is 7283 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.