Template file and tables?

This topic is 7237 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi!

Two questions:

In FM6 I used to create a template file with graphics and standard fields like creation date, serial number etc. In FM7, multiple tables in one file seems like a good idea. But now I have to create standard field by hand for every table. Is there a better way to make a template?

Tabs for layout navigation is nice. But I don't want user to end up in that ugly "No access" screen. What is the best approach?

Thankful for insights!

Hello Fridolin

I asked about the same some weeks ago, but didn't get an answer then. Hope there has already grown some knowledge about this until now.

Coresolutions (www.coresoultions.com) have announced, that they will soon publish an adaption of their well known Filemaker Developer Standards for FM 7. That should also give some guidance for the template question. And in June/July some of the announced FM Books will hopefully be out

As far as I can tell, the only way to get this kind of template table into a file is to use a 3rd party product like FMRobot. I shelled out the $200 for it, and I have to say that it saved me way more than $200 in labor. So kudos to New Millenium for their product which does exactly what it promises. But I have to say that I'm very upset that FM didn't build this feature right into FM 7. It's just too basic to the function of the program to have to buy an add on that costs more than the product itself!

Dan

What really upsets me is FileMaker knew about this upfront and choose to work with New Millenium well before the release of version 7, regarding migration issues and tools. They could have paid New Millenium for the technology and incorporated it with FileMaker. I'm sure there were good reasons for this choice, but as you pointed out Dan it more then doubles the price of a copy. FileMaker is a great development tool but who would pay 389.00 a copy with all the competition in the database software market?

I feel a little screwed, and at the benefit of a FileMaker business partner.

Just my 2

Thanks for the input!

Guess I could make a template with a couple of tables in it, and then rename/delete tables as needed in the saved copy (never cared much for 3rd party products, they are always a bit to pricey). But as Dan said, strange they didn't include this feature. I'll se if I can upload a template in a couple of weeks. Always nice to get rewiews and suggestions.

Fridolin

I think Filemaker intentionally left out certain functionalities to benefit 3rd party companies.

An example is the Troi file plug-in. Filemaker 7 allow imports of folders that contain files that are of pictures or medias file types. However, they intentionally disable importing of folder for file types that are not pictures/medias or text files. I guess the main purpose is to keep the Troi file plugin in business.

Hi!

Can't for my life understand why they choose this approach. To be able to insert a file in a container field, but not to store the pathway to the file is silly. Making 3:rd party products unnecessary increases the value of the core product.

Fridolin

Many FM7 features reduce / eliminate the need for various plug-ins:

File References as its own dialog: reduces the need for Meta Data Magic.

Custom functions and "Value" functions: reduce the need for Troi Text.

Script-triggering plugins: FMI included a free one with Dev7. (can download from databasepros.com)

Considering the serious bugs that 7v1 shipped with, I'm not sure they should have taken the time to include a "few more" features.

FM 7 is much better with many new functionalities compare to the old version. My point is not about new functionality but rather on functionality that they already implemented and disabled by default.

One example is getting file path information. They already implemented it and allow importing file paths for image/media/text but intentionally disabled it for all other file types.

It is absolutely absurd to have made all the wonderful changes that 7 brings and skip such a vital thing as a migrate table function or copy table function.

If anyone is looking for a table copy tool, check out http://www.fmpromigrator.com/

It will copy the tables and fields, but not the FM internal index number. This is important because if you are consolidating multiple files into one data file, you need to have the exact index numbers. FM uses this index as a pointer in its scripts instead of the field name. As a result, if you don't replicate your table exactly including the index number, your screwed. ID number might turn into zip code ...

So for now, I am stuck converting the tables by hand ...

Michael Myett said:

What really upsets me is FileMaker knew about this upfront and choose to work with New Millenium well before the release of version 7, regarding migration issues and tools. They could have paid New Millenium for the technology and incorporated it with FileMaker.

Just a few points to the above quote: New Millenium markets the product. It is the work of a Canadian firm. It was not released for some time after FMP 7 and then only for the Windows OS. The Mac version is still not released and may never be. The author told me that there are problems with OSX.

FileMaker 7 was in Beta testing long before it was released. I am sure there was a lot of communication with the beta testers. If there wasn't there wouldn't be any white papers to help us through this transition.

I like the idea of plug-ins to add power to the basic program. I can pick only what I need and not have to bear the extra cost and bulk of ones I don't need. They are used in many applications other than FileMaker.

This topic is 7237 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.