Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Import to 7 from 6?

This topic is 7275 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Am I missing something here, or has FM really dropped the ball? Can it be true that I can't import data from an .fp5 file into a .fp7 file without converting it first? I can get data from excel, dbase, and a host of text and xml formats. But not an earlier version of filemaker?!?

The problem is that I have a distributed solution in FM 6. I want to be able to send out an update to users that will bring their data into my re-worked version 7 solution. During the reign of FM 6, I had a way of bringing data from one set of .fp5 files into an updated set of .fp5 files using batch programs to copy the old FM files and scripts to import data into the my new and improved update.

But now I can't get FM7 to import from FM6 without conversion. I'm not talking about scripts, relationships, or layouts, but just the raw data.

So my options seems to be to 1) get the end user to convert the .fp5 files to .fp7 and then let my scripts do the import, or 2) to have them zip up their old files, e-mail them to me at the end of the day, convert them myself, and guarantee that I'll have their new solution back to them for the start of business the next morning.

Option 1 is frought with perils as I'm usually dealing with people of very low computer literacy. Option 2 promises some late nights for me that won't actually generate any revenue.

Does anyone else see a solution to this? I can't be alone... Can I?

Dan

Hi Roger,

Yes, xml import/export would work, but I don't have scripts in place in the old files to export as xml. So that would mean users would have to update to an intermediate FM6 version of the solution with the xml export scripts, and then to a new FM7 version. Very clumsy.

My solution is for non-profits and churches, and they never have a sysadmin type person around. I'm dealing with theologians and blue-haired volunteer secretaries. This has to be completely simple. Even the part where they have to specify the path to the folder where the old solution resides is a potential stumbling block.

Dan

Dan, I figured you had already thought that through, but it might be of use to someone planning for migration later. Build in the scripts to v6 now so that migration will come easier later.

Most of the folks I deal with do not have the hardware to run v7 yet, so I am planning for the eventual change over.

This topic is 7275 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.