How do I reference field values in other records

This topic is 7259 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Sorry if this is a newbie question. As the subject says, I want to be able to reference field values in other records of the same file for a fields calculation. Can someone tell me the notation for this? Also how would I reference a certain record that matches a criteria (based on another field in the record). Thanks.

You could create a relationship from this TO to a second TO of the same Table. Link it to one user-changeable field to one distinguishing field; for example,

File::EntryField = File::City

Let's ignore for now the fact that City is not a unique key. When you enter "Pittsburgh" into EntryField, you could reference File::State to return "PA". When you enter "Cleveland", the reference returns "OH".

Of course the first field doesn't have to be user-changeable and the second field SHOULD be unique, but hopefully this gives you the idea.

Does this help?

Jerry

• Newbies

Interesting. I will try to play with relating the file to itself and see what effects I can get. Essentially what I'm doing is I have a date which needs to be based off of the date of a previous date in a different record. This file is actually be used as a related database for a different file.

This topic is 7259 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.