Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Non Automaticsave And without Dialog possible ?

This topic is 7261 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Im having a little problem with filemaker 7. I have a layout with a portal of records. When you click on the portal line a new window is created with more information on that related record. In the new window I have 2 buttons that I created(Save, Cancel). The Save button calls a script and checks the 2 fields that are editable and makes sure everything is filled in fine and then saves. The Cancel button calls a script that Reverts the record and closes the window and goes to main window. This works perfectly when I turned off save record changes automatically in layout setup for the popup.

My problem is this.... If someone hits the X on the window (to close the window) it give the option for someone to save or cancel the record... is there a way to make it just cancel if they hit the x? This defeats the whole purpose of the save and cancel button.

It seems to me that FM's behavior (as you describe it, if I follow) *doesn't* defeat the purpose of the save/cancel button; rather, it insists that the user *consciously choose* between saving and cancelling. And this seems to me to be a good thing; some users might assume that closing the window confirms being "done with" data entry; others might think it means backing out without saving.

Can you say more about why you want the close box to cancel?

The reason I dont want people to save using the automatic dialog box is because the save button has a script that all fields must be filled in to save and the script also changes a invisable field to get it out of the portal. Yes I see good things about the dialog box but not for this case.

Ah, I see!

I wonder whether you actually would prefer a solution that uses a dialog box rather than a separate full window then... I remember using a custom dialogue plug-in once that allowed all sorts of flexibility for user inputs and buttons... Troi Dialog, I think it was, and there are others too...

A script could open the most useful data layout window beneath and place the dialog box in a helpful position, and force user to choose a button to move on.

well I thought of another idea which bombed...

In the new window I still have automatic save off, I made the two required fields a non empty field and required. When I click the X on the top it doesnt ask to save unless both those fields are filled in which is fine! Heres the annoying problem. If I click outside of the field it ask to save for some odd reason even tho I have automatic save turned off in the layout. I found a ghetto way of fixing it by making the whole backscreen a button. Then it doesnt ask. Is there another way of doing this other than my ghetto way?

This topic is 7261 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.