Macs (OS9)cannot see server files, PCs & OSX can

This topic is 7257 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello, I have spent an hour trying to find this info here, but to no avail. I am trying to help someone with the following problem. There is a FM5.5 server running 2 databases on TCP/IP. The databases are usable via remote TCP/IP when using FM pro 5 and 6 on windows, and in OSX on the mac. There are several OS9 machines using FM5 and FM6, but when trying to connect to the remote database xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, a empty window is all that is shown. The problem is the same on every OS9 machine running either FM5 or FM6. Thanks in advance for any help that will prevent me from jumping off of a small bridge.

Hi, speedydude! Older Mac versions of FileMaker default to the AppleTalk network protocol instead of TCP/IP. Mac OS X now uses TCP/IP, too. For each client app, go to EDIT > PREFERENCES > APPLICATION and change the protocol to TCP/IP.

It should be that easy, but if that's not it, let us know...

--ST

Oh, and FileMaker needs to be re-launched after switching but it should say that, too. My guess is that if you opened a db for sharing on an old Mac, all the other Macs would see it, no problem.

And if you jump, make sure it's a little AppleTalk / TCP/IP bridge. I have one about the size of a mouse, but it doesn't want to hurt anybody. LOL!

--ST

This topic is 7257 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.