Exporting to Excel from FileMaker 7

This topic is 7144 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'd like to export selected data to Excel for further processing (to do things that FM7 cannot do). In FM7, I've created a report that selects certain data (from multiple tables), does some calculations and summarization and presents it in columnar format. So far, so good. Now I'd like to get this data into Excel so I can apply other formulas to it.

Problem is, when I try to export the data, FM7 asks me to select fields from one of the tables! I want it to take only what's on the report (above).

If you're familiar with MS Access, when you produce a report, you can export it directly to Excel, "as is". This is what I'm trying to achieve in FM7. How can I do that?______ crazy.gif

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

according to what i have read here, u have to manually go to each related table and pull data off from there. it's a pain in the butt... and i just won't do it, plus if u do, it's gonna be a mess...

what the heck... i just ask my client to accept the fact of this annoying limitation of Filemaker. or else whatever calculation u wanna do, do it in Filemaker.

however, the printing in Filemaker just sucks bad... it's terrible. if the data is in table or column form... it's still best to be printed in excel... heh

Access to Excel works more transparently than FileMaker to Excel. I wonder why that is?

Seriously, there are at least a couple of functions/methods in FileMaker to export summarized and/or related data. Yes, it's a little work setting it up. But that doesn't mean it can't be done.

There is a GetSummary(field, break field) function, in Summary functions (requires sorting). There is a Sum(relationship::field) function (and others), in Aggregate functions.

This topic is 7144 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.