Server Maintenance This Week. ×

copying a table schema from another file?

This topic is 7258 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Well was not expecting 20 views and no replies.

Is my question so basic that it is insulting? I have just started to use FM again after leaving it a few years back for other systems. I am lucky enough to have noticed FM7's release and tried it out. Anyway now I creating an application with for a customer, just decided to integrate mine with FM Inc.'s sample app 'Business Tracker'. I have figured out all I need in the business tracker to add modules and security now I just need to copy my table schema from the DB I started in to the copy of the business tracker I have made.

In the endless saga to compare Filemaker with other products, systems like access and SQL have ways of exporting the schema and copying tables structure, with or without the data.

So again I pose the question, can Filemaker 7 export or otherwise allow me to create a new table using the schema from another FM DB?

>>I Would like to know if it is possible to copy a tables schema from one database.fm7 to another?

Not without a 3rd party tool. I believe this has been discussed somewhere in the forums.

Not everyone who reads your post has an answer. And weekends have fewer people checking the forums. Give your question some time before getting upset.

No , not upset. I did search around, though now I know too keep looking.

Thank You.

I would have to say the Filemaker community has always proven to be friendly and helpful. Please forgive an negative tone that I may have implied.

If anyone has a link to the thread or 3rd party tools that would be great too.

Dave

Last night I went searching through the help file script reference as I thought in the past I seen function that allowed me to enumerate through the meta data of FM's tables. Since I must have been seeing things and then I thought about that I still do not have any functions that would allow me to create fields at the script level. I am not finding much joy in my search results here and elswhere it is time just to give in and copy the schema by the eye to hand method. Though I imagine by tomorrow I will be ready to spend money on third party tool frown.gif

This topic is 7258 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.